Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 10 - Snow Day!

We are having quite a blizzard out there right now! Well, a blizzard for Georgia. About 3 or 4 inches have fallen so far and there's no end in sight or warming of the temps anytime soon. They're expecting about 6 inches with an inch of ice mixed in. I'm sure in about 24 hours this is just going to be one big pain in the neck, but for right now it's just beautiful and wonderful and exciting.

Oh, and the best part? SNOW DAY!!! They closed schools throughout Georgia before the first flake ever hit the ground. Smart move though considering how bad things look right now.

I remember those days when my brothers and sisters and I would sit around the radio waiting, waiting, WAITING and desperately hoping that they would say the name of our school. And that moment when they did? Oh the joy! The unmitigated happiness that took over us as we danced around the kitchen in our pajamas.

(To my mom's credit I do not have a single memory of her reactions when our school had a snow day. What a freaking nightmare for a mom of seven!)

Emma and I snuggled under a blanket, ate fresh-baked brownies and watched P.S. I Love You while the snow came down tonight. I will treasure it always. I know these moments with her are numbered now. She will be off to college in three-and-a-half years and I'm going to grab these special times and hold tight to how awesome they are. She's hurting right now but is so strong and wise and lovely. I really admire her.

Now, I'm off to bed and am really looking forward to our free day together in the morning! G'night.

No comments: