Monday, September 29, 2008

Day Three - A Different Rythym

It's my first weekday here and I'm learning that it's a much different atmosphere than on the weekends. Both Saturday and Sunday the place was alive with a bunch of young families at the pool, in the courtyard, running on the beach, out on their balconies....

But today, there was a distinct quietness to the place when I woke up. I went for another morning walk and the beach was nearly deserted. There was a part of me that was a little disturbed by it - like the rapture had occurred and I was still here or something (My conservative Baptist upbringing coming into play.) - and then there was a part of me that was relieved. I've always been a somewhat self-conscious person and I felt weird wandering around the place all alone while everyone else was here with family and friends. I didn't particularly envy them (Not yet anyway. I'm sure I'll start feeling homesick here pretty soon.), I just felt like an oddball. Like that poor blond in 2307 that has nobody, bless her heart. So it's nice to almost have the place to myself and just relax and do my thing.

By the way, have any of you ever showered in a shower where there are full length mirrors on one whole wall of the shower area? The master bath in this place has the wall along the long side of the tub wall-to-wall/floor-to-ceiling mirrors. You'd think it would be all helpful and snazzy to be able to see as you shave and wash up - but it's not. It's really rather awful. To see yourself in your full glory as you take care of the business of cleaning yourself everyday is the OPPOSITE of snazzy. It makes you want to go on a strict diet and hire a trainer immediately. Either that, or kill yourself.

I'm going to go sit on the balcony now and watch the tide roll in. My gosh, what a life this is!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

A full length mirror in the shower? CRAZY! I think I'd close my eyes the entire time so I wouldn't get an awful glimpse.