Saturday, September 27, 2008

Day One - My Ass Hurts But It's Totally Worth It

I made it! I'm here in St. Augustine and have spent the last few hours grocery shopping, unpacking and trying to figure out the television channels.

As I drove away from my house it nearly killed me to leave Emma. She's still sick and my heart aches with sadness and guilt. But I spoke with her a little while ago and she's doing great. Such a good kid....

About an hour into my drive, I realized that I've never done a road trip by myself. Oh, I've done the one or two hours here or there but never a - load the car up to the ceiling, get a bunch of crap to eat, gas up the car (What an odyssey THAT was! There's a gas shortage in god-forsaken Georgia.), crank up the tunes and let the wind (AC) flow through my hair. I wondered why it's taken me this long to do this. I'll be 43 in a little over two weeks and I think it's a little pathetic to never have done this. It's SO past time.

The condo I'm staying in is a bit dated, which I expected because most condo complexes in Florida are, but the view from the balcony is spectacular. I can hear the ocean waves as I write this and I'm excited to be this close to the ocean for one whole month. I've never had that luxury before and I'm feeling really blessed and the humbled by it. I hope to make the best of it as I go on this yet undefined journey. I wonder what I'll walk away with from it all a month from now? What will I have learned?

For today, I learned that I could do a long drive by myself, that I can unload a crapload of stuff from my car and get it up three floors by myself, that cotton fields in southern Georgia make it look like it just snowed, that there are NO good radio stations for about 150 miles in southern Georgia, and that I love the ocean as much as I thought I did.

More tomorrow.

No comments: