Monday, August 11, 2008

Oh My...

I'm a little worried.

A few weeks ago a new show came out on television called Swingtown. Have you seen it? I've been watching it from the beginning and I'm hooked. It's about these hip people in their thirties and takes place in the 1970s. As the title indicates, they have "open" relationships - swapping partners, threesomes, foursomes, orgies....

What concerns me is how much I like this show. I haven't heard any real buzz about it. My friends aren't talking about it. The few people I've mentioned it to look at me with their eyebrows knit and a barely masked look of concern on their faces. I feel like I'm the only one I know that watches it and it's become some dirty little secret of mine. But I can't help it - I really enjoy it. I can't wait to find out what happens between the married couples, Trina and Tom, Susan and Bruce and Janet and Roger. For that matter, I can't wait to find out what happens between Trina and Bruce, Trina and Roger, Susan and Tom, Janet and Tom, Susan and Roger, Bruce and Janet, Trina, Roger, Susan, Bruce, Tom and Janet....and on and on like that.

What does it say about me that I get such a kick out of this show? Am I a perv? Do I subconsciously want to swing? Am I a voyeur? It's quite disturbing for this nice girl from rural Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

My hope is that I'm just engaged by how smart and surprisingly kind and sweet the characters are with each other. (Although I will admit that seeing Grant Show in an orange and yellow Speedo is a motivating perk.) Plus, the 70s were such a fascinating time. So many changes and controversies that take the storyline beyond the sexual interplay and make it work.

Bet you're curious now, aren't you?

Perv!

No comments: