Saturday, August 9, 2008

Artist's Date or Merely Shopping?

Part of the homework for this course is to go on an artist date once a week. A couple of hours by myself doing something that "feeds me artistically" blah blah blah. I get why it can be valuable. Some dedicated time to explore what interests me in hopes that it will motivate, inspire and awaken all of that creativity that's been asleep for so many years.

That's good stuff. I get it. But I've gone on two of these dates so far and I've spent over a $150. Apparently the creative me is no cheap date.

Some of it is justified of course, being out of the artisitic loop for so long I need some new supplies. But some of it....well, some of it, I'm honest enough to say, is just me going shopping.

I learned years ago that, for people like me, a huge part of the excitement for any project - whether it's painting a masterpeice on canvas or painting the walls of a room - is the shopping involved. The going and looking at all of the options, dreaming about all of the possibilities - the buying of new things and nearly giving those things the power to change so much more than what they can actually change. It's exciting and fun. But is it getting me closer to my creative self? Um, not so much.

I mean, I'm getting ideas when I go exploring in these stores for sure. On my first date I went to the bookstore and looked at a bunch of books and magazines about stamping and paper crafts and art. It was great to find some things I liked and to learn what I definitely don't like. I even bought some of these books and magazines. But the truth is, I've only gotten halfway through one of them in a week's time. I'm not making the most of what these things have to offer once I've done the fun shopping part.

Today I went to a craft store and had a great time looking around at all of the pretty things, thinking of all of the possibilities. Then I spent sixty bucks. Which may not seem like much but it's really starting to add up.

I have to figure out a way to take the plunge and actually start making some things. Stop the dreaming and wishing and start the doing. So my goal for next weekend's date is to not spend any money at all but to simply create something. Not sure of the how or what yet but I'll get there. That's the journey, right?

No comments: