Thursday, April 18, 2013

Boston Strong

I have some great memories of Boston. I've had several girls' getaway weekends in my life but my weekend there back in college was one the funnest I've ever had. What happened there shall remain there, but needless to say, it was, ahem, an ADVENTURE.

I also had a weekend there with my husband (then boyfriend) that was awfully nice. The beautiful streets, Copley Square, good restaurants, lots of history...lots to do and see.

I enjoy the grit of the city. It's just as much a part of the area and the people that live there as anything else. Being a New Yorker, I appreciate the tenacity and rough edges that living in the Northeast brings. Spit and polish may be pretty but it's not going to get you through life. In my more philosophical moments I wonder if that's cosmically why that area of our country is so often targeted by others - because we can withstand hard times and come out better in the end.

When I heard about the bombings in Boston my heart broke. Knowing, as I do, the devastation wrought from suddenly losing a loved one...well, it's a hell that I wish on no one. And even the violent loss of a limb inevitably wreaks a whole load of pain and grief that must feel insurmountable to the victim at times. My brother lost most of his hand violently when he was young and I saw what it did to him and my parents as he struggled to heal physically and emotionally.

But, while I was heartbroken for the victims of the bombing and the people of Boston, I wasn't worried. I knew immediately that they would find a way to be okay. They would rise and thrive in spite of this vicious assault on them. These Bostonians are not weaklings. These are people who are strong. So very strong.

Boston strong.

Peace and prayers to you Boston.

No comments: