Sunday, June 28, 2009

Places. Memories. Secrets.

I went somewhere the other day and it held memories for me. Memories that I couldn't share with anyone in my current life. And that made me sad. But it also felt kind of juicy. Do you know what I mean?

When you're a mom you learn very quickly that you have to share everything. EVERYTHING. From the moment you are spread-eagle on that delivery table sharing your privates with anyone who happens to enter the room, to present day and every day in between. You share your food, your craft supplies, your bed, your clothes and make-up (if you have a girl - or a very fancy boy), your time, your illnesses, your body (they're always crawling on, leaning on, leaving some sort of bodily fluid on, sitting on, your body), your running errands time, your what-was-supposed-to-be-MY-alone-time, your beverage straws, your car, your bathroom, your television, your husband, your....everything.....

So when you have a secret - when you go somewhere with your children or whoever else it might be and that place holds a memory that no one else in your life knows about - there's something very satisfying about it. It's something that is only yours. That you don't have to share. That no one even knows that you're not sharing because it's locked in the private vault of your mind and they have no access.

And they never will.

Unless you decide to let it out.

To share it.

There are several places like that for me. Places that hold a special place in my heart. Places that I had shared with someone else in the past but they are no longer in my life so now it's only mine. Mine to do with whatever I want.

I choose to keep these memories mine alone. Close to my heart. Safe in my mind. At the same time keeping others safe with the lack of information. Things they don't ever need to know about.

I often wonder if everyone has secrets like this.

Or am I the only one?

No comments: