Monday, November 10, 2008

Sur-Real World

Emma had a sleepover Saturday night so I went to see The Duchess. (Which was really good but a bit depressing. I mean, I know of course, that women were treated horribly back then but it sucks to see it played out and to know it's a true story.) After the movie I went to Keegan's Pub - a local Irish bar - to have a drink.

Now, in order to tell you about this, I have to reveal something pretty humiliating about myself. I've already outted myself about my addiction to MTV's The Hills but I have failed to confess that I also watch The Real World sometimes. You know, "Seven strangers picked to live in a house and have their lives taped..." It's been around for 20 years or so and it's basically a romp of twenty-somethings who drink, fight, have sex and occasionally work.

Anyway, two years ago, in season nineteen the gang was in Sydney Australia and it was the usual mix of characters - a couple of slutty girls, the ex-frat boy, the recovering alcoholic, the somewhat sheltered often conservative country boy, the artistic girl who "just wants to work on her music", etc.

Most of the episodes disintegrated into a drunken brawl (or a drunken sexcapade) which is both fascinating and rather gross to watch. They also often talked about how hard their twenty-year-old lives are. Poor kids.

Back to Keegan's Pub! So I walk into the bar and I immediately notice some guy looking at me and smiling. He looked really familiar so I wondered if I knew him from somewhere. I'm such a lameass about remembering people so I figured it was a good possibility that we've met and I just couldn't place the where or how or when. I smiled back and found a seat at the bar. Then suddenly, it came to me! I KNEW who it was! It was none other than this guy....


It was Cohutta! COHUTTA!! That's right folks, good ol' boy Cohutta's ass filled that bar stool and he did it quite nicely too. He was the "somewhat-sheltered-often-conservative-country-boy" and one of my favorite characters that season. And no, I didn't talk to him. I'm not one to gush over pseudo-celebrities but it sure was one fun to watch him a few seats away. What he was doing in that bar in the middle of god-forsaken Georgia is beyond me. Going from months in Sydney, Australia back to fricking nowhere land is madness as far as I'm concerned but that's his decision I suppose. I guess you can take the boy out of the backwoods of Georgia but not the backwoods of Georgia out of the boy.

Too funny!

No comments: