Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Psst! Her Pies Are Here!

Last week, we had a Thanksgiving pie feast for Emma's class. I was in charge of it and happy to do it. The older the kids get the fewer opportunities there are to participate in the their school lives and I miss it. It's all part of the natural letting go process and it's healthy and normal, blah blah blah, but it also kinda sucks. So I organized with gusto and also happily made two pies to contribute. A mud cream pie and a pumpkin streusel pie.

The big day arrived and as I was standing at one of the two tables full of pies getting ready to serve the kids, Emma's math teacher sidles up to me and whispers in my ear, "Which ones are yours? We're going to steal them." I was so stunned but thought it was funny so I burst out laughing. How flattering! Of course, I thought he was kidding so when he just stared at me with a completely deadpan expression while I was laughing I was taken aback. I quickly realized that he was serious.

Well, when your daughter's math teacher asks for your pie, you give him the pie. I pointed him in the direction of the mud cream that was sitting on the other table and sure enough, he wanders over to it and while the other moms are busy serving the kids he snags it. I just stood there and shook my head laughing. What could I do?

About ten minutes later Emma's science teacher walks up to me and whispers, "Which ones did you make?" I looked at him with my eyes narrowed becoming very suspicious. He laughed and said, "Okay, I might as well tell you - I want to steal one to serve my family on Thanksgiving." What the...?! But again, what could I do? I told him that he better go get it immediately because the other one I made had already been taken. He scurried off and promptly took the pumpkin streusel and hid it in his classroom.

All reports later were that the pies were a big hit with those that consumed them, which is frankly a huge relief. All of that hoopla and then what if they sucked? So much pressure my baking reputation has created....

Emma better get an A in mather and science.

No comments: