Thursday, September 12, 2013

It was 91 degrees in Georgia today. We had a 40 minute drive this afternoon during the highest heat of the day – IN A BLACK CAR WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING. (Don’t even get me started.) We stopped by Publix to get something for dinner. Greg drops me off because I’m cranky with sweat. I go inside and am grateful for the cool air. I thought about going to the freezer section to sit myself in with the frozen corn dogs. Refrained. I stood there behaving myself waiting for Greg and Emma to come inside but only Greg showed up…

Me: Where’s Emma?
Greg: Out in the car.

Me: WHY?? It’s too hot!

Greg: I have no idea. That’s what I told her but she didn’t want to come in.

Me: (thinking) WHATEVER. Crazy kid…

We finish up our shopping and head out to the car. (Greg had found a good spot after he dropped me off! Right by the door. He’s good at finding prime parking.) I get to the car and there is Emma: wilted, sweating, forlorn with the hardship of baking in what was essentially a really big oven for the previous 15 minutes.

Me: Emma, why didn’t you come in? It’s too freaking hot out here!

Emma: (Long, deep sigh…)Because I didn’t want to walk.

Me: What are you talking about??

Emma: I didn’t want to walk from the car to the store.

Me: You didn't leave the sweltering car to travel the 15 feet to the cool store because you didn't want to walk?

Emma: Yeah, I just didn't feel like it.
 

Me: That's what's called CRAZY LAZY, Emma.
Emma: Ugh, MOM!

(She deserved to bake.)

No comments: