Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 39 - Blinding Light

This morning, I was holding a light up to a page I was trying to read (I'm old and the eyes are going.) and by mistake I turned the light towards my face and was temporarily blinded by it. It suddenly struck me how odd it is that the same exact thing you need to see better can also blind you.

Isn't that weird? The irony of it? I guess it's the same idea behind the "Too much of a good thing" adage. Things that taste oh-so-good are oh-so-bad for you if you eat too much of them. Love is such a powerfully wonderful force but obsession or loving someone that isn't good for you can destroy you. Exercise can change your health for the better but too much exercise can literally kill you (think eating disorder).

I honestly don't know where I'm going with this train of thought but it's had me thinking all day about only accepting what we need in amounts that are good for us in our lives and knowing when to stop. When to pull back. When to walk away. I hate that I'm 45 and just learning some of this now. That's what getting stuck in 1984 will do to ya, I guess.

I really do think I'm getting better at it though. I know now when to walk away from an unhealthy friendship and not feel regretful about it or like a failure. I know when I need to make some changes about my job situation. I know how to set better limits as a parent and in my marriage -what's acceptable to me and what's not - and remain unapologetic about it. (NEVER apologize for insisting on what is right.)

It feels good, and liberating, to have things be so much clearer to me now. I'm finally growing (up) I think.

No comments: